Proposed activities (under supervision), according to your wishes and skills:
- black and white colobus and blue monkey behaviour observation and inventory
- inventory of birds, and if possible river otters, duikers, leopard tortoises, tree hyraxes...
- farm animals inspection (cows, sheep, donkeys, horses, dogs, geese, guinea-fowls, ducks, turkeys...), help for treatments, feeding, state of health control
- activities with horses with Vincent, horsekeeper, and Astrid, certified in equine zooanthropology (Learning Animals Institute, Netherlands)
- distribution of head collars and carts harnesses to the owners of donkeys in the surroundings (with our farm manager) in order to sensitize them to wound and infection risks associated with bad harnessing (in collaboration with KSPCA/Donkey Sanctuary)
- inventory and check list of trees, plants, flowers...
- control and maintenance of the coffee plants, vegetable garden and fences (with the farm manager), cuttings of bougainvilliers, other gardening works, cooking…
- visits to Subukia village, walks in Subukia Valley with stop at local people’s homes, in order to discover the Kenyans’ way of life in a rural area (with our local guide), help to the children of the orphanage and refugee camp (partnership with ASES, a French association founded by Erick’s mother)
- sports activities: trekking, mountain-biking, horse-riding
- initiation to kiswahili, conservation education, courses on animal behaviour and plants medicinal uses, local tribes (with Edwin)
- opportunity to go to Nyahururu (Thompson Falls, Saint-Martin mission), Nakuru (National Park), Menengai Crater, Village of Mary (shrine), Lower Subukia (Franciscans mission), visit of a tea and coffee plantation, camel farm...
- opportunity to go to our camp in Masai Mara during the stay (3-week or 1-month stays), with costs sharing
The participants can have one free day per week, that they can use the way they like. 6 participants maximum at a time.
Lodging and food: Accomodation in a twin banda (with another participant) with bathroom. Solar panel for electricity. Biogas.
The meals are taken at the restaurant on the lake.
Tariffs: 2 weeks: 1380 euros / p. single, 1900 euros for 2 persons - 3 weeks: 1880 euros / p. single, 2600 euros for 2 persons
1 month: 2180 euros / p. single, 2900 euros for 2 persons.
These prices include lodging, food, all the supervised and guided activities (including sports activities, visits in the
surroundings etc.), the transfer from and to Nairobi airport.
Flying ticket, taxes, visas, insurances, supplement safaris (Nakuru 1 day: 130 euros/p on a 4-person basis minimum, Maasai Mara 3 days: 320 euros/p on a 4-person basis minimum. If less than 4 persons, please ask for info), extras of all kind, alcoholic drinks and sodas are not included.
Detailed programme and application questionnaire upon request.
Please contact us by mail at firstname.lastname@example.org - www.ecovolunteer-kenya.blogspot.com